Vera Nedkova (1906–1996) belonged to the generation of artists who rejuvenated Bulgarian plastic culture in the 1930s. She studied and graduated in painting in Vienna and, in 1934, returned to Bulgaria to stay on and work on her native soil until the end of her days. Throughout her long life and creative path, the artist left a rich and varied heritage that is a reflection of her life. Having long since achieved the recognition of critics and the public, the art of Vera Nedkova has made a significant contribution to the development of Bulgarian culture.
The house museum opened in 2004, and is located on the second floor of a residential building. The apartment belonged to the Nedkov family following their return from Vienna. It was here that the artist created some of her most famous works.
In 1995, Vera Nedkova bequeathed everything she owned to the Bulgarian state as represented by the National Gallery. Her will stipulated that her bequest should be kept together in its entirety in memory of the Nedkov family and its mission within Bulgarian culture.